Thursday, July 18, 2013

Birthday Month

As a child I'd sit in class and be incredibly envious when someone's birthday was celebrated.  Their mom would bring cake and party supplies.  Even as an outcast at my school I was allowed to participate because the whole class was included.  Still, I longed to be able to celebrate my "special day" too.

Ah, but I was born in the summer. July, when the heat really begins to build and the sweat trickles down your back.  When I was a child, not everyone had airconditioning.  We certainly did not.  We had screen doors, open windows, hoped for a cross draft, and had a couple of round oscillating metal fans. It just wasn't cool enough in the house for a real social gathering.  Not that my family was known for social gatherings to begin with.  There were a few times I remember my Mom trying to throw me an actual party.  It was hard to get the neighborhood kids to come over after second grade.  Remember, I was an outcast.  Mom did always make a cake when one of us had a birthday and there were a few presents.  Still, I missed the social acceptance.

When I married, my husband's family would throw me a birthday party.  It was just their family but it was nice.  Cake, ice cream, and a special dinner.  I felt special and it helped to heal some of those childhood wounds.  Once the children came along, all the focus was on making their birthdays as special as possible.  I know that to some extent I was over compensating for my own childhood.  Now the kids are older and fairly much do their own thing on their birthdays.  I think I did good by them. 

My birthday is now just another day.  At most I request to NOT have to make dinner.  I usually buy my own presents.  I have hopes of spending the day reading and writing.  I'm in my 40's.  It's well past time to let go of childhood hurts.  Birthdays are just a day to mark the passage of another year of life, to look back and reflect, and make plans to make the year to come even better.  I think I'm starting to settle well into this middle-age thing...

Happy Birthday to me!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday!!! Sorry I missed it. Even as adults, birthday parties are fun. Sometimes the daily grind makes us forget things that are important unfortunately, but still don't see it as 'just another day'.

    ReplyDelete